St Columba’s Church received a visit from The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh today, celebrating the anniversary of the current building.
Her Majesty and Prince Philip were at the Scottish church in Knightsbridge to mark the sixtieth year since the completion of a new building, following its destruction in the war.
The original St Columba’s Church, built in 1884, was destroyed on 10th May 1941 by a bomb. It was rebuilt on the same site to a contemporary design, beginning in July 1950, with Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother laying the foundation stone the year after. Sir Edward Maufe, also responsible for the design of Guildford Cathedral, chose a contemporary look for the building.
St Columba’s is one of two Scottish Episcopal churches in London, and takes its name from Saint Columba, the Ulster saint.
Dressed in emerald green, Her Majesty unveiled a plaque to mark the anniversary inside, just like she did on her last visit in 1984, though that commemorated the 200th anniversary of the church’s inception. She also spoke with those involved with the congregation and its work.
— Church of Scotland (@churchscotland) December 3, 2015
The Queen is Head of the Church of England, but not of the Church of Scotland: the Scottish Church is self-governing in all that concerns its own activities. Her Majesty did, however, take an oath to preserve the Church of Scotland at the meeting of the Privy Council immediately after her accession, which is standard practice.